Professor Mathew Glover Addo is an Associate Professor in the Department of Theoretical and Applied Biology (TAB). He is currently the Head of TAB and also the Vice-Dean of the Faculty of Biosciences - KNUST.
Prof. Addo completed the General Certificate of Education (Ordinary Level) in 1984 and the GCE (Advanced Level) in 1986 at the Seventh Day Adventist Secondary School (SDASS), Bekwai.
In 1988, he gained admission into the then University of Science and Technology (UST), to pursue a four-year degree programme in Biological Sciences and completed the BSc (Hons) Biological Sciences programme in 1992 with a Second Class (Upper Division). He was retained at the Department for his National Service as a Teaching Assistant/Service personnel.
In August 1993, he was awarded a Norwegian Government Scholarship (Lanekassén) to study Biotechnology where he obtained both the Candidatus Magesterii (BSc) and Candidatus Scientiarum (MSc.) in 1996 and 1998, respectively, at the University of Bergen, in Norway.
In September, 2008, he obtained a French Government Scholarship to study for the simultaneous Doctor of Science/Doctor of Philosophy degrees at the prestigious Université Paris Sud IX, Paris, France and KNUST, Kumasi respectively. He completed the Doctorate programme in May, 2011, where he designed an efficient screening method for the identification of genes involved in the mitochondrial genome stability using Caenorhabditis elegans as a model organism.
Prof. Addo’s research areas include the following: Study of new nuclear genes involved in the stability and maintenance of the mitochondrial genome, using Caenorhabditis elegans as the model organism; Baseline study of the quality of drinking water delivery systems in Ghana as well as investigating into some resident microorganisms causing spoilage in some locally produced non-alcoholic beverages in Ghana. Applied and Environmental, Food and Water safety microbiology; and Molecular epidemiology of Malaria and co-infections (HIV, Helminths, Toxoplasma gondii, Trypanosome species).
He has authored many publications in international peer reviewed journals and conference presentations. He also won a number of grants for research and a recent one from DFG-German Research Foundation with Dr. Kingsley Badu on Animal African Trypanosomiasis in humans: An emerging zoonosis?
Prof. Addo has supervised and assessed five (three on-going) PhDs, about 40 Masters (MSc/MPhil) and over 40 BSc. students.
For his dedication and excellence in teaching, Prof. M.G. Addo was awarded the Best Senior Member in the Teaching Category of the 2017-2018 KNUST Excellence Awards in College of Science (CoS).
Prof. Addo is an academic with considerable experience in institutional management, University teaching, and membership of University Boards and Committees.
He has served in various capacities within the country and internationally as an External Assessor, Visiting Professor and Reviewer for several journals. He is a member of Professional Bodies namely: Ghana Science Association and University Teachers Association of Ghana
Prof. Addo is a team player who can lead and follow with equanimity. He is outspoken, candid and dispassionate in analysis of issues.
The following are some of his services to Community:
- Non-professorial Rep for College of Science, Academic Board (2012-2014)
- Member, College of Science Board
- CoS Rep, KNUST Institute of Distance Learning Board
- Cognate Member, Faculty of Renewable and Natural Resources Board (2005-2008)
- Member, Faculty of Biosciences Board (Member)
- Vice Dean, Faculty of Biosciences (2017-Date)
- Head, Theoretical and Applied and Applied Biology Department
- College of Science Examinations Officer (2011-2013)
- Faculty of Science Examinations Officer (2005-2008)
- Examinations Officer, Biological Sciences Department (2004-2005)
- Member, Examinations Coordinating Committee (2011-2013)
- Member, Undergraduate Centralised Admissions Committee
- Chairman, College of Science Examinations Audit Team
- Chairman, Committee of Hall Administrators (2016);
- Hall Master, Republic Hall (2016)
- Senior Tutor of Republic Hall (2013-2016)
- Member, Senior Members Housing Committee (2005-2007).
- External Assessor, Promotions, University of Ghana, School of Biomedical and Allied Health Sciences (2018 ).
- Chairman, Affiliations, Korle-Bu School of Hygiene Curriculum Review Committee (2017).
- Moderator, Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety (Schools of Hygiene) (2016-Date).
- External Assessor, Promotions, Centre for Plant Medicine Research(2016-Date).
- External Assessor, Promotions, Centre for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) (2016-Date)
- Chief Examiner, Allied Health Professions Council (AHPC) (2015).
- Moderator, University College of Agriculture and Environmental Studies (General Science Paper) (2015)
- Member, Proposal Review Panel of Accra Polytechnic (2014).
- Member, Proposal Review Panel of St. Karol School of Nursing (2014).
- Reviewer, Proposal Application for KNUST Research Fund (KreF) (2017-Date).
- Reviewer, Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health Science (2017-Date)
- Reviewer, Journal of Science and Technology (2017-Date)
- Reviewer, African Journal of Microbiology Research (2016-Date)
- Reviewer, Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytotherapy (2016-Date )
- Reviewer, Journal of the Ghana Science Association (2012-Date
- Chairman, Harmonization of Microbiology Course Contents in the College of Science (2018)
- Chairman, Republic Hall Disciplinary Committee (2018).
- Chairman, Affiliations, Korle-Bu School of Hygiene Curriculum Review Committee (2017-Date).
- Resource Person, Facilitators and Thesis Supervisors Workshop- Northern Sector. (2017).
- Member, Committee to Review and Regulate Teaching and Examinations Time Tables and Use of Classrooms Across the University (2016-Date).
- Member, Committee to investigate alleged irregularities in CHEM 169 marks for Petrochemical Engineering I, in the Department of Chemical Engineering (2016).
- Member, Institute of Distance Learning Time Tabling Committee (2015-Date).
- Chairman, Committee to regulate food vending at the Institute of Distance Learning, Accra City Campus (2015).
- Member, Committee to Develop a Proposal for Special dispensation for Distance Learning Students (2015)
- Member, Committee for Reconciliation of IDL Nursing (Access) Results (2015).
- Member, Committee on Restructuring of College of Science to the Three-Tier System (2015).
- Resource Person, “A two-day workshop for Porters and Security Guards”, organized by the Staff Training and Development Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana, 1st to 2nd and 5th to 6th October, 2015.
- Member, Committee to Draft Proposal for Special Treatment of IDL Students on Deferment, Probation and Grace Period. (2015)
- Member, Distance Learning Students (IDL) Examinations Task Force (Examinations Committee) (2014-Date).
- Chairman, Committees to investigate allegations of Examinations malpractice against three (3) Institute of Distance Learning (IDL) Students (2015).
- Member, Republic Hall Maintenance Committee (2014-2016).
- Chairman, Committees to investigate allegations of Examinations malpractice against six (6) Institute of Distance Learning (IDL) Students. (2014 ).
- Chairman, Committee for Drafting of New Programme for the Department of Theoretical and Applied Biology (2014).
- Member, Proposal Review Panel of Accra Polytechnic (2014)
- Member, Proposal Review Panel of St. Karol School of Nursing (2014).
- Assessor, Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology (2013) .
- Member, Committee on Disbursement of Parallel Programme Fees at the College of Science (2013).
- Resource Person, “College of Science Orientation for Freshers’ on Examinations”, organized by the College of Science, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana, 1st and 2nd October, 2013
- Resource Person, “College of Science Orientation for Freshers’ on Examinations”, organized by the College of Science, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana, 10th to 12th October, 2012
- Assessor, Department of Clinical Microbiology, KNUST (2011)
- Chairman, Two-Member Team to vet list of Internal and External Examiners, College of Science, KNUST (2011).