- To become the top of the notch bast fibre research and development group in Africa.
- To carry out cultivar development for fibre yield, fibre quality, seed yield, and seed quality in the bast fibre crops.
- To develop starter cultures for efficient retting and enhancement in fibre quality
- To train researchers and scientists in cultivar development.
- To provide consultancy services in bast fibre business development and management
- Cultivar development
- Seed development and supply
- Bast fibre production and supply
- Retting biochemistry and microbiology for technology development
- Technical assistance in raising kenaf and jute plantation
- Development of outgrower scheme