Department of Food Science and Technology Labs
The Department of Food Science and Technology began as a program within the Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, where the faculty responded to the national need for experts in the expanding food sector throughout Ghana. Focusing on issues related to food security, the Department offers a four-year undergraduate degree as well as master's and doctorate degrees in food science and technology.
The Department’s research interests include food chemistry, food microbiology, food processing, food safety, and food engineering.
Due to the vast research area of the department, it has five main laboratories. These are:
- Food Science Research and Teaching Laboratory at the College of Science Building (GF-14)
- Mycotoxin Research Laboratory
- Food Processing Research Centre
- Food Microbiology and Fermentation Laboratory
- Food Kitchen, Sensory and Evaluation Room.
Food Science Research and Teaching Laboratory at the College of Science Building (GF-14) is the central laboratory of the department and is mandated to:
- Carry out student laboratory sections
- Assist in BSc., MSc., MPhil. and Ph.D. research and project work for students in the department and other departments of the school.
- Offer food analysis tests upon request by the Food Drugs Authority on a commercial base.
- Also assist students from other universities whose project or research work falls within the capabilities of the laboratory.
- Receive and train students on industrial attachment upon request of sister universities.
Redeemer Kofi Agbolegbe