The Hochschule München Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (HM KNUST) Low Vision project (an Else Kröner-Fresenius-Stiftung (EKFS) funded project) is looking for a motivated individual to employ as a Research Assistant.
In sub-Saharan Africa, more than four million people are blind, and about seventeen million suffer from moderate to severe visual impairment, with the etiology of vision loss poorly understood. Optometrists' work is made difficult or impossible by the lack of assistive devices for the visually impaired and the absence of referral centers for routine treatment of the visually impaired, so about two-thirds of patients seeking treatment for the visually impaired are often not treated.
- Establish an academic low vision course and tertiary low vision centre at the Department of Optometry and Visual Science, KNUST, Kumasi, Ghana
- Establish a model low vision service that connects the tertiary low vision centre at KNUST with three secondary and six primary low vision centers
- Conduct a visual impairment and low vision study at the network of low vision centers established
- Organize continuing professional development programs for eye care professionals 5. Organize a West African Regional Workshop on low vision practice.
Roles and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will be responsible to the Project Lead. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Conduct literature reviews, prepare data collection instruments, collect and analyze data.
- Prepare materials for submission to granting agencies and foundations.
- Facilitate the acquisition of equipment or supplies necessary for the project.
- Manage and respond to project-related emails.
- Prepare, maintain, and update website materials.
- Providing support in the supervision of research students’ training.
- Attend project meetings.
- Attend area seminars and other meetings as necessary.
- Summarize project results, Prepare progress reports for the PI and funding agency.
- Prepare other articles, reports, and presentations.
- Planning and organizing short courses.
- Assisting with and coordinating the research activities of the project.
- Provide guidance as required to support staff and students.
- Performing any other related role that may be assigned by the Project Lead.
The HM KNUST Low Vision project is looking for a results-oriented, self-directed and team player with good communications skills. The ideal candidate should be an honest and respectful person. In addition, successful candidates should possess the following:
- a minimum of Bachelor’s degree from a recognized University in the under-listed fields: Optometry/Vision Science, Public Health, Biomedical Sciences, Ophthalmology.
- Good research and publication skills.
- Candidates must be proficient in using the following computer software (word, excel, PowerPoint, STATA, SPSS)
- The successful candidate MUST enroll on the postgraduate programme in Vision Science.
Other Required Skills:
Applicants should be:
- Outstanding in writing, analytical, communication skills and willingness to bring ideas to the table.
- Able to work in a challenging environment.
- A team player, self-motivated, problem-solver and should demonstrate initiative and leadership qualities; and
- Must be innovative and have a passion for excellence.
Terms of Appointment
1. The Appointment, which is full-time, shall be for TWELVE (12) MONTHS (renewable) for the duration of the project based on good performance. Three (3) months of the contract period shall be the probation period.
2. The remuneration and Conditions of Service attached to the position are very attractive.
Interested applicants should send an application letter, personal philosophy/motivation statement, copies of academic certificates, and curriculum vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.