The College has a Science Students Association which serves as an umbrella body for all students in the College and seeks to:
- bring together all student of various department of the college of science
- promote the interest in the study of science by organizing seminars and publication of scientific achievements
- facilitate academic progress and to protect the interest of members of SCISA, especially as regards lectures, examination and subjects combinations, among others, and
- Organize exchange programmes with both local and international sister institutions.
SCISA further seeks to promote the study of science and its related subjects whilst ensuring an enabling environment for academic excellence.
As part of its programmes, a number of educational and social activities are undertaken by the Association each year; these include:
Week Celebration – i. Outreach programmes to senior high schools and other societal institutions.
ii. Launch with educational seminar for students.
iii. College socializing event.
iv. Entrepreneurship training
Trade and Technology Fair (TRATECH) – A platform where students get the chance to display what they have learnt.
Science Fair and Blood Donation
Clean up Exercise
Quiz and Debate Competition etc.
Community volunteer and sensitization programmes
Science Students’ Association (SCISA) KNUST was founded in September 1982 and comprises of nine departmental associations. It currently has a membership of over 5000 students. The Departmental Associations are:
- Biological Science Students Association (BIOSSA)
- Optometry Students Association of Ghana (OSAG)
- Ghana Biochemistry Studenst Association (GBSA)
- Association of Food Science and Technology Students (AFSTS)
- Computer Science Society (CSS)
- Statistics and Actuarial Science Students Association (SASSA)
- Association of Mathematics Students (AMS)
- Ghana Students Chemical Society (SCS)
- Physics Student Association of Ghana (PHYSAG)
The Executive Body
SCISA has an executive structure and a council level mode of administration.
The executive is made up of the president, vice president, secretary, organizing secretary, treasurer and the women’s commissioner. The council is made up of departmental association presidents and secretaries, committee chairpersons and class representatives.